I’ve said this before and I’ll point it out again -
Menstruation is caused by change in hormonal levels to stop the creation of a uterine lining and encourage the body to flush the lining out. The body does this by lowering estrogen levels and raising testosterone.
Or, to put it more plainly “That time of the month” is when female hormones most closely resemble male hormones. So if (cis) women aren’t suited to office at “That time of the month” then (cis) men are NEVER suited to office.
If you are a dude and don’t dig the ladies around you at their time of the month, just think! That is you all of the time.
And, on a final note, post-menopausal (cis) women are the most hormonally stable of all human demographics. They have fewer hormonal fluctuations of anyone, meaning older women like Hilary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren would theoretically be among the least likely candidates to make an irrational decision due to hormonal fluctuations, and if we were basing our leadership decisions on hormone levels, then only women over fifty should ever be allowed to hold office.
Reblogging hard for that last comment.
I WANTED TO SAY THIS BUT THEN SOMEONE ELSE DID and I’m damn proud.
DashCon is a first-year fandom convention for Tumblr users. It is happening this weekend and turning into possibly the largest convention kerfuffle anyone has ever seen.
- Due to the DashCon staff done diddly goofin’ by not putting a payment schedule in their hotel reservation contract, they were asked to pay $20,000 by 10 PM last night or the convention would be kicked out of the hotel. They asked attendees and Tumblr users to donate $17,000 via PayPal and cash to keep the con going - and they supposedly raised all of the money. Con attendees then piled into the ballroom to do Mockingjay salutes and wail Freddie Mercury songs to celebrate them falling for what is suspected to be a scam (as people have contacted the hotel to ask about this “$17,000 fee” and the hotel reportedly has no idea what they’re talking about).
- You can attend wonderfully informative panels like this at DashCon:
- DashCon claimed there would be 3,000-7,000 attendees. There are 1,000 at most and all of them are white kids in flower crowns who are rioting for the anti-sexualization of women in media while simultaneously running panels about “homoerotic subtext in fandoms and finding the gay ships for YOUR fandoms!!!”
- The con didn’t have the money to cover WTNV’s transportation and performance fees. When WTNV asked them to pay the remainder of their performance fee prior to the panel beginning, DashCon was unable to do so, and WTNV walked out as they are positively free to do because what the fuck you don’t invite keystone guests if you aren’t able to pay their fees upfront (and showing them your PayPal balance on a smartphone absolutely does not count).
- It’s being speculated that Steam Powered Giraffe was not even booked properly in the first place.
- A full weekend badge was $65 dollars for a first-year fandom con jesus christ that’s almost the price of most full-fledged comic cons.
The list continues but so far it’s only the con’s second day and it is quite literally the most dramatic, hysterically cringe-worthy convention debacle I have ever seen unfold.
Adding some updates as of 7/12 at 7:35 PM EST:
- The game room consists of some tables, one TV, and one gaming console. No, really, that’s it.
- DashCon proves they have possibly the worst PR team ever when addressing the WTNV cancellation. Instead of clearly explaining the situation, they say they “don’t want to get into it,” and then offer compensation for those who bought advanced seating tickets for the Night Vale show. What’s the compensation? An extra hour playing in the ball pit (which is really just a slowly-deflating children’s pool with some balls in it). Oh, and if there’s room, you may get one of the first-come-first-serve spots at the Time Crash concert happening tonight. Huzzah!
- Most panels are completely disorganized. The “Name That Anime” panel was even handing out hotel mints as prizes for correctly answering questions like “what’s the anime where they fight with clothes!!!”
- This still needs verification, but supposedly there are minors being let into the 18+ panels (like “BDSM 101”), which DashCon could easily get sued for allowing. Not that they have the money for it.
- It’s been pointed out that as a Marriott hotel, the Renaissance would have required them to submit their full reservation payment 5 days in advance of the event. Therefore it’s very, very likely that the “$17,000 fundraising” was a huge scam. Because DashCon would’ve had to pay that money 5 days before this weekend or the event wouldn’t even be happening in the first place.
- Furthermore, someone attempted to debunk the letter that DashCon posted to prove that the hotel asked for money. Not all their points are valid (i.e. “RE:” is commonly used for “Regarding”, not just in response to previous communication, and idk but this dude doesn’t strike me as an expert on internal Marriott stationary), but frankly the letter looks sketchy if only because
17000%99% of it is whited out. Is it real? Is it fake? We just don’t know.
- There has been no confirmation that the money donated in cash and via PayPal last night ever made it to the hotel (if that was indeed where it was intended to go).
- People are demanding full or at least partial refunds.
Needs verification, but purportedly DashCon has a list at the con where you can sign your name and the amount you donated to be refunded later. Which sounds like a totally effective and not at all easily-abused system. [Verified: x]
- Attendees are either in denial saying this is the best con ever or they’re crying and having panic attacks. Welcome to Tumblr.
And as a bonus: DashCon originally ran an IndieGoGo campaign last year to raise $5,000 to start their convention. They raised $4,000. The campaign ended in April 2013 and rewards have still not been sent out (which consisted of tea bags, a couple business cards with your Tumblr URL on them, and if you donated $500+, some knick-knacks from Etsy).
More updates, as of 7/13 at 3:59 AM:
- CORRECTION: A moderator of the BDSM panel messaged me to say that minors were not allowed in to their panel. There has been neither confirmation nor denial from the other 18+ panels, however.
- It turns out that the prizes for the “consolation raffle” are the reward gifts for IndieGoGo donors.
- Possibly art theft by DashCon for the nebula graphic in their banner?
- Gingerhaze decided to leave the con early after discovering DashCon wouldn’t be covering her hotel room anymore and she was charged the full bill. She is now sleeping on a pull-out sofa with the WTNV folks who threw some massive shade. BakerStBabes completed their convention duties as promised and then left as soon as that was done. No word on if Doug Jones is still on premise or if he’s also bailed.
- In this post from 11 months ago, con head Megg33k explains that they had “rented out the vast majority of their convention space and set aside nearly every room in their hotel” and that there was a "legally binding contract and the exchange of money." They also signed a contract and had “monetary obligation” in regards to Steam Powered Giraffe, so I’m curious as to how that appearance fell apart. She also states that Doug Jones was paid in advance, so he should at least be good for appearing on Sunday (if he hasn’t already skedaddled, that is).
- DashCon isn’t a registered LLP in Illinois - so technically they’re operating illegally, as their LLP is only registered in Ohio.
- A personal account of the early stages of DashCon: fundraising committees, miscommunication, and a web series scam!
- Some insight into Cain Hopkins, one of the head admins of DashCon:
- An update from a friend whose company is a vendor at DashCon this weekend:
- They have attempted to show both Pacific Rim and Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog without the legal rights to host a public viewing party. At this point they’re basically just piling on the lawsuits.
- Two staff members have popped into the DashCon thread on 4chan’s /cgl/ board in an attempt to defend the con. It’s going about as well as you would expect.
- On the plus side, the Homoerotic Subtext panel was completely different than what the DashCon schedule made it sound like and in reality was pretty ballin’.
As always, if you can confirm or deny anything in these masterposts with proper validation, it’s greatly appreciated! I originally did the first one just to answer an ask I got, but as it’s blown up I figured I’ll keep doing it, since I’m captivated by the whole mess anyways. :’D
I’m heading to sleep now but I’ll do another update tomorrow once I’ve caught up on anything else that happens tonight! Hopefully no one dies. I’m not sure how else this con could get any worse.
And one last thing, just to clarify: my heart goes out to all you guys who paid to attend what you thought would be a fun convention and instead got this trainwreck. Even if it turns out that the $17,000 fee wasn’t a scam, remember that it is absolutely unacceptable for a convention to operate this way. I’m so glad that many of you have been able to see the positive in a bad situation and still managed to make friends and have a good time - but don’t forget to stand up for yourselves, too. A convention should never extort money from its attendees for any reason. Again, it’s great that you still made some good memories, but good memories alone do not make a good convention. Make sure your feedback is heard, especially if you want to see this con (or any future Tumblr-oriented con) have any hope of success.
Good morning! Here we are, July 13th, the final day of DashCon. So far, this is what’s happened as of 11:46 AM:
- Supposedly this Tumblr user posted a full version of the letter from the hotel to DashCon staff. However, it is not real. If you’ll notice, the original letter as the amount due written as “$20,000.00” whereas in this version it’s only “$20,000”. The formatting also does not line up correctly. (Too bad it isn’t real, though, that’d be a riot.)
- Gingerhaze revealed that Doug Jones has already left the premises.
- Another witness account describes how DashCon “collected money in a bag” during the $17,000 debacle. They also took names on an email list to issue WTNV refunds at a later date. Who wants to take bets that said refund never happens?
- This video shows the moment when it was announced that WTNV left the convention.
- DashCon is making news headlines.
- Staff tries to start rumors that WTNV was paid and left anyways. No one believes it.
- People are debating whether or not out-of-state businesses require an Illinois LLP to operate within Illinois, or if they only have to pay a $500 registration fee (which we have no confirmation of DashCon doing so). Would any lawyers care to confirm/deny?
- The act of offering extra play time in the ball pit as compensation for the WTNV tickets could easily turn into another lawsuit, as they did not originally charge an entrance fee for the ball pit, therefore giving it no comparable monetary worth to compensate for the purchase of event tickets.
- Attendees and staff are attempting to start the conspiracy theory that 4Chan ruined DashCon.
- Like Gingerhaze and WTNV, the BakerStBabes are also being forced to pay their hotel fees because DashCon refuses to cover the costs as originally promised. Admins are refusing their calls. You can read more about their experience here.
- The artist and vendor hall has essentially cleared out.
- Please note that dashcon-staff is a fake Tumblr account.
- Finally, here’s a video of a con admin describing his experience during the $17,000 fundraising events of Friday night.
Alright, guys. This is my last update to the masterpost. I’ll continue to post more coverage on my blog’s Dashcon tag as it happens, but this will be my last update for this compilation!
So, it’s Sunday evening, and DashCon has officially ended. Here’s how the kerfuffle concluded:
- The DashCon Feedback Panel with the admin team left a lot to be desired in terms of PR. Several things were discussed, including the Night Vale payment issue, the method of paying the hotel on Friday night, and the fact that they made a down payment on DashCon 2015’s venue 6 months ago. Also, full weekend refunds? Not happening.
- BakerStBabes threatened lawyers and got their room situation sorted out.
- Guillermo Del Toro has reportedly been notified about the unlicensed showing of Pacific Rim at a convention, which occurred in a room of approximately 60 people.
- CORRECTION: When the two staff members went on /cgl/ last night, it was not with the intention of defending DashCon. Says one: “We were sick of the way we’d been treated over the course of the convention and wanted to vent.” Said staff member has asked to remain anonymous, but I will be posting snippets from an interview with them later tonight.
- More light has been shed regarding the "Tumblr University" partnership and a promo video that was originally shot for the con in its early stages, via someone who was directly involved at that point.
- An anonymous 16-year-old contacted me to say she was able to sneak into the BDSM panel. In contrast, another 18+ panel assured me they were vigilantly carding the door. Any more firsthand accounts would be greatly appreciated.
- Mentions of pick-pocketing on Saturday have surfaced.
- A former committee member has provided further insight into the DashCon origin story and fundraising committees.
- It’s been determined that it is fully legal for DashCon to operate within Illinois despite being a registered LLP in Ohio. Thanks, legal side of Tumblr! [More discussion: x]
Again, if you have any corrections or other information you’d like to provide, please feel free to submit it. Thanks so much to everyone who’s contributed and offered support for this resource; glad to hear people have found it helpful!
SIGNAL BOOST THIS NEWS! Seriously, how come this isn’t all over tumblr? Angelina Jolie presided over the largest ever global anti-rape summit. She is using her celebrity for good. She is addressing rape in wartime and in conflict zones, which is where it is perpetuated on the most massive scale and in which context always has been used as a weapon.
Feminists of tumblr should get behind this woman. Let’s stop the perpetual erasure and trivialization of women in the media through their sexualization and start looking at the work that they do. Her acts here are easily in danger of being eclipsed by her image in the tabloids which is more concerned with her relationship to Brad Pitt and the fact that she is a sex symbol than the important feminist work that she is performing RIGHT NOW.
I am such a fan of this lady… and she does not deserve to be trivialized for being a woman, a sex symbol, and a celebrity. Here, she is working for social justice for women all over the world. She’s doing what’s right.
I am so happy the Queen has made her an honorary Dame, because of the work she has done behind this campaign -> http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/13/angelina-jolie-dame-queens-birthday-honours-list
All we know is…
Comcast is considering imposing monthly usage limits for all of its Internet customers.
David Cohen, executive vice president of America’s largest cable company, predicted at a conference Wednesday that in five years’ time, the company will have “a usage-based billing model rolled out across its footprint.”
That means Comcast customers could only consume a certain amount of data before facing extra charges for going over their limits.
Internet should be delivered like water. Can you imagine your water utility deciding that it’s going to deliver a certain amount of water to your home, and then shut it off after an arbitrary limit, unless you pay more? What about delivering water faster or at better quality to people who pay more for it? It’s unthinkable.
Companies like Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon and AT&T are using publicly-funded infrastructure (in addition to whatever the companies have built themselves) and should not be allowed to act in a way that’s counter to the public interest.
President Barack Obama at the White House Correpondents’ Dinner.
OBAMA HAS TOTALLY STOPPED GIVING A FUCK AND IT’S THE GREATEST THING I’VE EVER SEEN
this shit was brutal
Stop sexualizing my body stop shaming my body stop policing my body
holy shit this is perfect. spread this like wildfire!
Star Trek + Social Commentary (context in the captions)
let’s talk about housecats and how fucking weird they are evolutionarily/anthropologically
like who thought it was a good idea to have tiny malicious predators in our homes anyways????? (not us actually)
are they even domesticated????!!!?? (yes) do they even feel LOVE???????!!? (yes)
LET’S LEARN ABOUT CATS
“you ready 2 learn punk”
APPARENTLY YOU MISSED THE BIGGEST ONE OF ALL
"Tony?" "Yeah, Cap?" "You remember when you hacked SHIELD’s computers on the Helicarrier when we first assembled?" "Yeah?" "You know how you said you’d know all their dirty secrets?" "Where are you going with this?" "You missed one." "So I missed one, sue me." "I might. It was kind of a big one." "…how big?" "Hydra was growing inside SHIELD big." "…….. JARVIS?" "I don’t know how that happened, sir." "It’s okay, Tony. Not being quite as sharp as you used to be is natural sign of aging. :D" "I don’t want to hear it from you, fossil." ":D"
Jeremy Clarkson is a genius… sort of.